Wednesday, March 10, 2010

the Sanctuary

This is my first real blog entry in writing. I am not a very good writer but I will do my best. I don't know if this is the right thing to do but I want get after the "the" in "The Sanctuary". Some may think this is small...but to some this has become an important word in our possible new name...so let me try to make a quick response.

2 Cor. 6:16 says, "What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. as God has said: 'I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.'"

Here in Scripture we do see the "the" being used. The context is in comparing the dwelling place of God to other idols. The text is referring to the Church (worldwide - so thankful we are not alone). The reality is there are other sanctuaries out there. There are spas and resorts, there are bird baths and other places that call themselves a sanctuary, but the Church is the only true sanctuary. Do we want to communicate that? Do we want people out there to know that the church is The only Sanctuary? I think it is important that we are distinct from the world and having the word "the" may communicate that to some. Personally, I don't think "the" is going to really communicate that, but maybe there are those out there (there are obviously some in our church) where the "the" is important.

Now, obviously the comment made about "the" is in the context of other churches. Are we communicating to all the other churches that we are the one and only sanctuary? No! In our logo the "the" is small compared to Sanctuary. I think that represents that the "the" is not that big of a deal. My brother is a pastor at "The Chapel". Are people out there thinking they are the one and only chapel - how arrogant? I don't think so. My Dad goes to a church called "The Orchard". My friend pastors a church called "The Edge' The reality is there are a bunch of churches called The Chapel, The Orchard, and even The Edge and they certainly are not THE one and only.

Personally, I think the way we live will communicate our heart much more. I think the way we love will communicate our heart for a lost and dying world and the way we serve will demonstrate that we KNOW that we are not the only sanctuary...in fact every follower of Jesus is a sanctuary, and is part of the sanctuary.

Coming soon...If I vote "no" am I rejecting my Elders...

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first post! I look forward to the "coming soon..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe having a disclaimer/explaination (in fine print or italics or something) along with the name would help... something like, "Not the only sanctuary, but a sanctuary of believers serving God together to develop households of faith"

    I'm enjoying this discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife emailed the elders, because our reaction to the name change was negative. I found it interesting that everyone I talked to in leadership was shocked and opposed to the name, one even screaming when she heard of the change (you know who you are.) But then everyone got excited about it, and I was feeling like I was missing something.
    I was not excited about it, even after praying and reading scripture about it. There was a disconnect between building homes of faith and the word sanctuary for me.

    The point of a name change being significant was not lost on me, but it just did not seem to be a good fit. As I thought about it, it would make sense that even name changes in the Bible could have come up against some apprehension and initial confusion, but then after seeking the Lord, a time of excitement and renewed commitment to where the Lord is at work would follow.

    One of the elders said of the "baggage" (my words) that comes with a religious word will be more of a help then an hindrance to us when it comes to explaining the name to people, specifically those who do not regularly attend church.

    "For those people, the opportunities to hear about the Word are limited, and telling them you go to the Sanctuary lends you a perfect opportunity to explain what it means. You can dispel the idea that a sanctuary is a big marble building where they wouldn't want to go, and tell them what the Bible says a sanctuary is. This is how God reaches the lost, and something as simple as a name change can create those opportunities to have the conversation."

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was not a name of a church that sent me here.
    And It is not a name that will cause me to leave.
    "A rose by any other name is stil as sweet..."
    But, I can see that a name will speak a message to ones who have yet to recieve it.
    I know that if I have been looking for a church,
    That's what I would preceive.

    Peace be with you

    ReplyDelete