Friday, March 12, 2010

The Journey to the Sanctuary

The elders recently received a great email from someone in our church asking each one of us to tell them our journey to affirming the potential new name "The Sanctuary." As I read the elders responses I thought it would be great if all of you could hear some personal testimonies of why the sanctuary and what it means to each one of us...so here is the first one - it is from Mike Willer.

"I will share with you some of the ways God has worked in me as I have prayed about this. I was initially opposed to changing the name as I think nearly everyone was. It is part of our human reaction to change. Personally, I had no issues with the name Crosstown Church, and my initial response to the notion that our name doesn't reflect who we are is that neither does Willow Creek Church or Saddleback Church. It is not the name that defines a church, but rather the people. I was concerned too much importance was being placed on the name.

However, I knew that God had laid this on the hearts of the staff, so I intentionally laid aside my human reactions and opened my heart to the concept. What I found is that God used my own argument that our name is not important and turned it around on me. He confirmed in my heart that since the name is not who we are, I should not hold tightly to it just because that's what it has always been.

In fact, as I think about it even now, I am reminded that names in the Bible were changed occasionally, and it was always to commemorate something significant. The examples that come to mind are Saul to Paul and Jacob to Israel. That affirms it for me even more because I believe this is a significant time in the history of our church. The elders have felt it for some time and talk about it often. We know we are on the verge of something big. We're not entirely sure what it is, but God is already moving in our body and in our community. We know we will look back on these past few months and realize it was a crucial time for us and a launching point for what God is about to accomplish -- even and especially without a building of our own. As we strive to follow His lead, using the vision that He has given to Ronn as a guide, this is the perfect time to commemorate the start of something big with a name change. The Sanctuary is a name that signifies who we are (the dwelling place of God) as well as what we are not (a church that is all about a permanent building).

One point someone brought up at the meeting was that his friends did not go to church and did not know the Bible, so telling them that he went to the Sanctuary would sound more heavy and churchy than Crosstown Church. I have the opposite reaction when I hear that. For those people, the opportunities to hear about the Word are limited, and telling them you go to the Sanctuary lends you a perfect opportunity to explain what it means. You can dispel the idea that a sanctuary is a big marble building where they wouldn't want to go, and tell them what the Bible says a sanctuary is. This is how God reaches the lost, and something as simple as a name change can create those opportunities to have the conversation.

Another thing that God has made clear to me is that no decision of ours either way is going to make or break His ability to accomplish His purpose. Whether our neighbors come to know Him or not, whether our church grows or not, whether the community is impacted or lives are changed -- it is all out of our hands. He can do His work with or without us and in spite of what we do or what we call our church. Thankfully, He has offered us the incredible opportunity to join Him in His work. It is our heart's desire to do just that, and we feel strongly that the Sanctuary fits so well with the vision, with who we already are as a church, and with our conviction that God is dwelling among us and is moving in a mighty way toward something great.

It is true that we can carry out the vision of building homes of faith without a name change as you suggested. That's exactly what we will do if our congregation does not support this proposal. You should feel comfortable to vote your heart after surrendering any personal convictions that may hinder you. I don't believe you are going against the leadership if you vote against this proposal. My encouragement to you is to examine, no matter which way you vote, the motives of your heart. Jesus is always more concerned about that than the actual outcome.

Thank you for seeking us out and for being genuinely interested in our own hearts on this matter. I will pray that God gives you and everyone else clear guidance and a peaceful spirit as we all seek to follow Him."

Blessings to you and your family,

Mike

3 comments:

  1. AMEN Mike!

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for those great thoughts, Mike. I really appreciated reading that.

    I have been reading the debate here on the blog and I have wanted to comment, but I've been reluctant because I'm nervous that I might offend someone or make others upset.

    But with one week left until the vote, I do want to voice my view on this issue.

    I was surprised, like everyone else, when I heard the proposed name change. At first, I wasn't sure what to think of "The Sanctuary". However, as I've thought and prayed about it more, I have to say I really like it!

    In my opinion, The Sanctuary is a much stronger name than CrossTown and therefore, it elicits a stronger reaction. But I like that about the name. To me, it conveys a message that our church is a sacred place, and yet it's also a place to find rest and refreshment.

    But the truth is, it doesn't matter if I like the name or not.

    As Ben so vividly described for us on Sunday, I believe our church body is sitting at the edge of a cliff, not sure if God wants us to take a leap into the unknown. If God has given our leaders a new vision for our church and if he has laid on their hearts the new name of The Sanctuary, then it really doesn't matter if I like that name.

    If God has given us that name, then HE knows what the outcome will be, and we only need to trust him to do HIS work.

    Personally, I will be disappointed if we don't take that leap and find out where God might be leading us with the name change. I know that others might not feel this is God's plan for us, and they need to be fearless in voting against the change.

    If you aren't sure, and you don't have a strong conviction one way or another, then I think it's best to trust our pastors, elders and other leaders who believe this is the direction we should go. That is why we have chosen our elders and trust them to lead our church. And as Mike said, no matter what the outcome is, God "can still accomplish his purpose".

    Blessings!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. As if my first comment weren't long enough... This is part 2 because the blog wouldn't let me leave a comment this long... but this is what's on my heart, so I continue...

    It seems like a lot of people are taking the name change personally, and that says a lot about our church. If we were part of a church with thousands of people, the leadership might change the name and we would say, "Oh, THEY changed the name of THE church." But in the case of CrossTown, we have the feeling that this is "OUR church and OUR name." That's great, because it shows how much we love this church and see it like our own family.

    But regardless of the name, the things that we love about CrossTown aren't going to change.

    Finally, before we came to CrossTown, we drove by River Woods School every Sunday morning on our way to church. In fact, we drove by it every week for six years!

    I saw the sign for CrossTown so many times and wondered what kind of church it would be. The name made it seem like kind of a folksy, happy place to me. At that time, it seemed like maybe it would be more of a seeker-type church that would want to make people feel good. And that was a turn-off to me.

    I found out later that CrossTown is the friendliest, most joyful church I have EVER attended. But it's not just a place that wants to make people feel good. We are serious about challenging people to pursue God and run the race with abandon.

    When we started looking for a new church home, I looked on the web site and still wasn't sure if it was a place we would want to try. The first two weeks we visited the church, it seemed that everything went wrong. The first week, something happened with the worship. The next time, the announcements went long, and Ronn didn't even have time to preach his sermon!

    But despite all of these things, including the name, I felt without any doubt that this is where GOD wanted us to be. HE is so much bigger than the name of the church, the tagline, a worship team that doesn't sound perfect one week, a pastor who doesn't even have time to preach his sermon! God is bigger than all of that, and he will bring the people to our church who need to be here!

    I pray that God will speak to each one of us this week as we seek his will for our church. We are at an exciting place where it's clear that we will have to rely fully on him, no matter what the outcome is. I pray that we will be unified in Christ and that we will be FEARLESS as we make this decision.

    Blessings! Emily

    ReplyDelete